Sony Introduces Alpha 9 II Adding Enhanced Connectivity and Workflow for Professional Photographers
- Raising the Bar for Built-in Connectivity in the Professional’s Workflow
- The Platinum Standard for Speed and Auto Focus Performance
- Refined Build and Operability
New Delhi, 5th December 2019: Sony India Pvt Ltd, today announced Alpha 9 II (model ILCE-9M2). The latest model from Sony’s acclaimed line-up of α™(Alpha™) full-frame interchangeable lens cameras has been created specifically to support working professionals in the fields of photography.
1. Raising the Bar for Built-in Connectivity in the Professional’s Workflow
1000BASE-T Ethernet terminal 1000BASE-T File Transfer over SSL or TLS encryption (FTPS) is supported for increased data security and PC remote (tether) shooting performance is improved
The Alpha 9 II includes an in-built 1000BASE-T Ethernet terminal, enabling gigabit communication for high-speed, stable data transfer operations. Additionally, File Transfer over SSL or TLS encryption (FTPS) is supported for increased data security and PC remote (tether) shooting performance is improved, with decreased release time lag and reduced live view screen delay when using the ‘Remote Camera Tool’ desktop application 1. The speed of the camera’s built-in wireless LAN functionality has also been increased, adding a stable and fast 5 GHz (IEEE 802.11ac)1 band, in addition to the 2.4 GHz provided in the Alpha 9. IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards are all supported.
Ethernet terminal, enabling gigabit communication for high-speed, stable data transfer operations
By combining wireless voice / image transfer and automatic voice to text conversion with the ability to auto transfer images with attached voice memos via FTP, it is possible to shoot and transfer the results to an FTP server without ever having to operate a smartphone. FTP settings within the app can also be sent to a camera via Bluetooth®, allowing for a faster workflow.
Voice Memo function that allows spoken information to be attached to images in the form of voice memos
Designed to improve the speed of news agencies’ workflow, the Alpha 9 II features a new Voice Memo function that allows spoken information to be attached to images in the form of voice memos that can be replayed when the images are reviewed. The voice data can also be included with images sent to an editor, giving them important information needed for effective editing. Alternatively, a field photographer can also use the ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ “Imaging Edge™” application 3 to transfer voice tags with the images to their mobile device and have the voice memos automatically4 converted to text and added to the JPEG images in the form of IPTC metadata5. All of this can be done automatically or manually, selectable by the photographer.
2. The Platinum Standard for Speed and Auto Focus Performance
Ground breaking speed performance including blackout-free continuous shooting at up to 20 frames per second with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure tracking, 60 times per second AF/AE calculations
The new Alpha 9 II builds on the impressive legacy of the original Alpha 9, maintaining ground breaking speed performance including blackout-free continuous shooting6 at up to 20 frames per second7 with Auto Focus and Auto Exposure tracking, 60 times per second AF/AE calculations8 while incorporating even more functionality driven directly from the voice of professionals. Updates include significantly enhanced connectivity and file delivery, continuous shooting at up to 10 fps with mechanical shutter, evolved AF performance with newly optimised algorithms, a re-designed build to enhance durability and operability and more.
The camera is able to function whilst continuously calculating Auto Focus and Auto Exposure at up to 60 times per second, with newly optimised AF algorithms that provide notably enhanced AF precision and performance, ensuring that even the most erratic subject motion, especially in the case of fast moving subjects, is captured with high precision. The camera offers an anti-flicker9 shooting mode that automatically detects and adjusts for the presence of fluorescent or artificial lighting to maximise image quality.
The advanced focusing system in the new Alpha 9 II is comprised of 693 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approximately 93% of the image area, as well as 425 contrast AF points. This Fast Hybrid Auto Focus system achieves extremely fast and accurate performance, ensuring all fast-moving subjects are accurately captured. Additional notable focusing capabilities include Real-time Eye AF with right eye / left eye selection, Real-time Eye AF for animals10 – augmented with a new algorithm, Real-Time Eye AF for movie11, Real-time Tracking12, selectable focus frame colour, Touch Pad focus point control while using the viewfinder and more. AF can continuously track even when continuous shooting is greater than F1613, providing further accuracy for shots that require slower shutter speeds.
The new model can shoot continuously and completely silently14 at 20 fps for up to 361 JPEG images15 or 239 compressed RAW images16, with no viewfinder blackout, allowing the photographer to follow the subject and action with no interruption to the EVF during picture taking.
The new Alpha 9 II has been improved to shoot at up to 10 fps with mechanical shutter, about 2x the speed of the Alpha 9
For times when mechanical shutter is preferred or required, the new Alpha 9 II has been improved to shoot at up to 10 fps, about 2x the speed of the Alpha 9.
3. Refined Build and Operability
Upgraded dust and moisture resistant17design to meet the needs of professionals
Upgraded dust and moisture resistant17 design to meet the needs of professionals in even the most challenging outdoor conditions. Stronger sealing provided at all body seams as well as the battery compartment cover and media slot
Latest image-processing algorithm reduces noise in the medium-to-high sensitivity range
Latest image-processing algorithm reduces noise in the medium-to-high sensitivity range while improving subjective resolution and image quality
Improved grip configuration for even greater comfort and sure hold
Improved grip configuration for even greater comfort and sure hold. Compatible with Sony VG-C4EM Vertical Grip
Dual media slots that are both compatible with UHS-I and UHS-II SD cards
Dual media slots that are both compatible with UHS-I and UHS-II SD cards, allowing higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds
Other Salient features:
- Upgraded BIONZ X™ image processing engine gains maximum benefit from the sensor’s fast readout speed. Processor works with front-end LSI to enhance speed in AF/AE detection, image processing, face detection and accuracy, and more
- 5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation system that provides a shutter speed advantage of 5.5 steps18
- Improved button design and feel. Increased diameter and feedback of the ‘AF-ON’ button; a refined multi-selector joystick design; an exposure compensation dial lock button and a redesigned shape and new position for the rear dial
- Redesigned shutter mechanism to suppress even the slightest movement that can cause image blur. Tested for durability in excess of 500,000 shutter cycles19
- USB Type-C™ connector that supports fast USB 3.2 Gen 1 data transfer
- Digital audio interface has been added to the camera’s Multi Interface Shoe™ (MI Shoe) enabling the new ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adaptor Kit to be connected directly to the MI Shoe for cleaner, clearer audio recordings
The Alpha 9 II will be available across all key retail counters Sony Center and major electronic stores across the country from 5th December, 2019 onwards.
|Alpha 9 II||INR 399,990/-|
A product video on the new Alpha 9 II can be viewed here.
1. Version 2.0 or later required. For more information on the new application updates, please visit the ‘Remote Camera Tool’ website at
2. Models sold in some countries/regions support IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) wireless LAN only. 5 GHz communication may be restricted in some countries and regions
3. Version 1.1 or later required. Ver.1.1 will be released in October 2019. For more information on the new application updates, please visit the ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ website at
4. Only available in regions where Google services are available. Voice Memo exceeding 50 seconds cannot be converted to text
5. “IPTC Metadata” is standards of metadata included in digital images formulated by IPTC (International Press Telecommunications Council)
6. Electronic shutter mode. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds
7. “Hi” continuous shooting mode. At of 1/125 sec. or higher. In AF-C mode the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used. A software update may be required for some lenses. Visit Sony’s support web page for lens compatibility information
8. At shutter speeds of 1/125 sec. or higher. The number of AF calculations will depend on the lens used
9. Only 100 Hz and 120 Hz flicker is detected. Continuous shooting speed may decrease. Flicker-free shooting is not available during electronic shutter, BULB exposure, or movie recording
10. Stills only
11. This function does not track animal eyes
12. “Tracking” in the menu
13. When the camera [Aperture Drive in AF] is set to [Focus Priority], the aperture value can be set greater than F16. The continuous speed slows down. The compatible lenses are [SEL200600G][SEL35F18F][SEL400F28GM][SEL600F40GM]
14. Silent shooting is possible when Shutter Type is set to “Electronic” and Audio signals is set to “Off”
15. “Hi” continuous shooting mode, UHS-II memory card. According to Sony tests
16. “Hi” continuous shooting mode, compressed RAW, UHS-II memory card. According to Sony tests
17. Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof
18. CIPA standards. Pitch/yaw shake only. Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens. Long exposure NR off
19. Sony internal tests with electronic front curtain shutter