IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
This article shows how to troubleshoot when the update stops on the way and the screen displays one of the following messages:
- Software transfer failed message displays mid-update and the update stops
- The update stops at the Please wait...Downloading software... screen
- The update stops at the Please wait...Updating... screen
If any of the issues above occur, the following condition might cause the update stop before it completes.
- Other Bluetooth devices are connected to the smartphone (wearable device, etc.)
- The Bluetooth connection of the headphones and mobile device is unstable
- The battery level of the headphones and/or mobile device is low
- There is signal interference, such as from a wireless LAN or other wireless devices
- The Automatic Power Off function is set to ON (for only Truly Wireless headphones)
- The power saving mode on the mobile device is set to ON (for Android devices only)
- The music is playing during the update (for WF-1000XM4 only)
- In the update screen, tap Cancel on the Sony | Headphones Connect app to cancel the update.
- Turn off power to all Bluetooth devices connected to the mobile device being used for the update.
Note: If another Bluetooth device registered to the Sony | Headphones Connect app, or a device compatible with Bluetooth Low Energy (wearable device, smartwatch, etc.) is connected to your device, the update may not be possible.
- Turn off the mobile device, then turn it back on.
- Close the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- Fully charge your headphones and the mobile device.
- Open the Sony | Headphones Connect app on the mobile device.
- Using the Sony | Headphones Connect app, connect the headphones and the mobile device via Bluetooth, play the music, and check that the sound can be output from both sides of the headphones.
- For Truly Wireless headphones only: Check the Automatic Power Off function. If this setting is ON, the headphones turn off when the headphones are not worn for 5 minutes. Turn OFF the Automatic Power Off function setting during the update.
- The Automatic Power Off function is set to ON by default setting.
- After completing the update, you can reset the Automatic Power Off function to ON, if you prefer.
- Perform the update again using the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- Turn off or close all other apps running on the mobile device.
- Keep the headphones and the mobile device closer together.
- When update, keep the headphones and mobile device away from other devices that transmit radio waves, including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices.
- When using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc.), disable the Google Assistant settings.
- When using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc.), stop playing the music during the update (for WF-1000XM4 only).