IMPORTANT: This article only applies to specific products. Please check the Applicable Products of this article.
Your TV may be able to simultaneously display two sources while watching a program, depending on your model and the function selected. There are three possible modes: Picture-in-Picture (PIP), Twin Picture, and Picture-and-Picture (P&P).
Note: Depending on the model, these functions may not be available. For details check your TV manual or the Does my TV have Picture-in-Picture (PIP), Picture & Picture (P&P), or Twin Picture capability? article.
What's the difference?
- Picture-in-Picture (PIP): Displays content from two sources, with one opened in a small window in the corner of the TV screen.
- Twin Picture: Displays content from an HDMI-connected device and a TV program (Built-in Tuner) at the same time.
- Picture-and-Picture (P&P): Displays content from two video sources (left and right) at once (e.g., connected device and TV program).
Which modes are available on my TV?
Select your TV type for more information on available display modes.
(How to check if your BRAVIA TV is an Android TV™)
Select your model from the following and check the details or precautions.
Note: Depending on the model, these functions may not be available. For details refer to the Does my TV have Picture-in-Picture (PIP), Picture & Picture (P&P), or Twin Picture capability? article.
2016 - 2020 models except X74H / X75H series
These models support Picture-in-Picture (PIP). By selecting Picture-in-picture with the TV remote control while watching TV programs or external input, you can operate the Home screen or the application while watching the small screen of TV programs or external input. See the table below for possible combinations of Picture-in-Picture. There are some restrictions on using PIP for Apps, so please see *Notes for Apps below for details.
- A: Main screen
- B: Small screen
| ||(Small screen) TV programs ||(Small screen) External input||(Small screen) Apps||(Small screen) Home|
|(Main screen) Apps*||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|(Main screen) Home||Yes||Yes||No||No|
*Notes for Apps:
- You cannot play videos or photos on the main screen while displaying a small screen. It is possible to operate the Home screen, browser, and some video playback applications.
- For video, photo, or music apps:
- For X9350D, X93D, X94D, X85D, S85D series: The Album, Video, and Music apps do not support Picture-in-Picture.
- For other Android TV models released in and after 2016: If you use the Media Player app as the main screen, you can display thumbnails in the app while using PIP, but you cannot play photos or videos. On the other hand, you can play music files in the apps (Media Player or Music apps) while using PIP.
- Update your TV to the latest software. (The PIP feature was added with the Android TV Nougat update.)
- The small screen is displayed on the corner of the last app used. However, the app that is displayed may vary depending on certain conditions.
- Operations such as changing the channel are disabled while watching with a small screen.
- The position of the small screen varies depending on your TV. It is automatically adjusted and cannot be set manually.
- For how to use the Picture-in-Picture screens, refer to your TV model Help Guide.
- For KM-X9000H series TVs: An optional digital tuner (BRX-TU10) or set-top box (STB) is required to watch TV programs.
2015 models (xxC series)
Supports Twin Picture.
- Update your TV to the latest software.
- Only digital 2K and analogue signals can be displayed while using Twin Picture.
- Twin Picture is unavailable when watching satellite, digital or analogue channels or when using specific apps (such as YouTube™). Switch the input to an HDMI-connected device before enabling Twin Picture.
- The only combination of sources you can watch with two screens is a TV program (Built-in Tuner) and an HDMI device.
- For more details, please refer to the How to use the Twin Picture function on Sony's Android TV? article.
Other TVs (except Google TV™ models)
- 2015 models or later: It does not support any of the functions (PIP, P&P, or Twin Picture).
- 2014 models or earlier: The availability of Twin Picture, PIP, or P&P depends on the model. For more information, please refer to the i-Manual.