How to restart (reset) an Android TV™ or Google TV™?
IMPORTANT: This solution is applied for Android TVs. For details about how to reset a BRAVIA TV other than an Android TV, refer to the article How to perform a power reset on a Sony television.
Your BRAVIA TV runs the Android™ OS, which is also used in many smartphones and tablets. As with these devices, resetting your Android TV is an effective method to resolve some issues such as "the picture does not appear", "only sound is output", "the remote control does not work", or "the App is extremely slow."
Perform the following operation to reset the TV.
Reset the TV with the remote control
- When an external USB hard disc is connected to the TV, disconnect the USB cable from the TV before resetting.
- If TV is turned off, turn it on first and perform the following operation.
- Point the remote control to the illumination LED or status LED and press and hold the POWER button of the remote control for about 5 seconds, or until a message Power off appears.
Note: Depending on the model and OS, the Cancel or Restart screen may appear after pressing the POWER button on the remote control for 3 seconds or longer. In that case, you can also select Restart to restart.
- 1: Illumination LED/status LED
- 2: Remote control POWER button
- The TV should restart automatically. Wait for approximately one minute, and the TV will turn back on. If it does not reboot, press the POWER button on the remote control to turn on the TV.
- TV reset operation is complete. Check to see if your issue has been resolved.
Alternative method to reset the TV
If you unplug and plug in power cable, it may have same effect as the reset steps above. If the situation does not change after pressing the POWER button on the remote control, try the following steps. If you leave the TV with the power cord (mains lead) disconnected, the electricity that remains in the unit will be discharged. As a result, unnecessary data and error information in the memory will return to their defaults, and allow you to use the TV again normally.
- Turn off the TV.
- Unplug the television power cord (mains lead) from the electrical outlet.
- Let the television remain without power for 2 minutes.
- Plug the power cord (mains lead) back into the electrical outlet.
Note: For Google TV except for X74K, X75K, X91J Series (85), and W8xxK series, the following alternative method has the same effect: On the TV, press the POWER button for about 40 seconds, or until the TV turns off.
If the issue is not resolved, check the BRAVIA TV Troubleshooting Guide article.