IMPORTANT: This article only applies to specific products, countries/regions, and operating systems. For the applicable products, please check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article. For the applicable countries/regions, and operating systems, please refer to the Countries and regions where Sony's TV supports Amazon Alexa devices article.
Table of contents
Before you start
- In addition to the TV and Amazon Alexa device, you also need a smartphone.
- Download the Amazon Alexa app to your smartphone and complete the setup of your Amazon Alexa-equipped device. For the setup method, please check the manual of the Amazon Alexa device.
- The Amazon Alexa app is a mobile application provided by Amazon. You can access the Amazon Alexa app from your smartphone.
- To connect your TV to the Amazon Alexa app, connect your smartphone and TV to the same Wi-Fi (wireless LAN) network.
Note: For how to connect your TV to a wireless LAN, refer to the How to connect the BRAVIA TV to a network using a wireless connection (Wi-Fi network) article.
- The following is required to sign in (log in):
- For Models with the TV Control with Smart Speakers app: An Amazon, Google, Sony, Apple, or Facebook account.
- For Models with the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app: A Google account.
How to configure the settings
- On the supplied TV remote control, press the HOME button.
- The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:
Note: If your TV is not supported, neither the TV Control with Smart Speakers app nor the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app will appear on the apps list.
- Under Your apps, select See all — TV Control with Smart Speakers app.
- Select Apps — TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app.
- If the TV Control with Smart Speakers app or TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app is displayed on the Home screen, select one of them.
- The next steps will depend on the app you selected in the previous step.
TV Control with Smart Speakers app
TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app
- Follow the instruction on the screen, then select Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to sign in. You can access the URL displayed on the TV screen with your smartphone, or scan the QR code on the screen.
- When the Activation code has been confirmed message is displayed on the smartphone screen, tap Proceed to sign in. Select one of the accounts displayed on the sign-in screen and follow the instructions displayed to sign in. When Signed in is displayed, return to the TV screen.
Note: If you are prompted to enter an activation code, enter the 4-digit and 4-digit alphabet displayed on the TV into your smartphone.
- When the sign-in is completed on the smartphone side, Signed in is displayed on the TV screen. If the TV name displayed on the screen is the default model name, you can change it to a name that is easy to call. Select Change TV name and change the name. When you have finished changing the TV name, select Next.
Note: If the following Remote start settings screen appears after selecting Next, select Yes to enable the Remote start settings. If Remote start settings is not enabled, you cannot turn on the TV by voice from an Amazon Alexa device.
- When the Select a smart speaker to connect to this TV screen appears, select Amazon Alexa Device.
- On the Set up the smart speaker screen, scan the QR code displayed on your smartphone or access this page to activate Sony's TV Skill: https://skills-store.amazon.com/deeplink/dp/B08TFM1Q4P
Note: If the URL link or QR code displayed on the screen are not available, launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone, search for BRAVIA in Search for Skills, and display the Sony's TV Skill screen.
- The Amazon Alexa app will start on your smartphone. When the Sony's TV Skill screen appears, tap Enable to use and follow the instructions on the screen to link the account to Sony's TV Skill that you used in step 4. The process is complete when the message Your BRAVIA account has been successfully linked is displayed. Tap Close.
- When the TV screen displays Amazon Alexa Device successfully connected to this TV, select Next.
- You can confirm that you can use voice commands from See all voice commands on the Try controlling the TV with voice screen. After confirming, select Exit.
- When the Exit app? screen is displayed, select OK. The settings are complete.
- Say “Alexa, turn off the TV (the name of the TV you selected in step 5)” and verify that you can operate your TV using your Amazon Alexa-enabled device.
After completing the settings, if you want to again confirm that you can use voice commands, you can do so from the TV Control with Smart Speakers
app on your TV.
- On the home screen, select TV Control with Smart Speakers app in the app column, or select Show all on the far right and select from the list of apps.
- Select Amazon Alexa Device, and then select See all voice commands.
- At the initial setup screen, click Next, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
- On the Log in with Google screen, select Next.
Note: If the following screen is displayed after selecting Next, select Yes to enable the Remote start setting. If Remote start is not enabled, you cannot use voice commands to turn on the TV from an Amazon Alexa device.
- Choose your Google Account and go to the next step.
Note: If a Google Account is not registered on the TV, register your account at this time. For details, refer to the article How to add or remove a Google account on a Sony Google TV™ or Android TV™.
- Choose an easy-to-say TV name.
Note: Pick from the list or create your own TV name.
A waiting screen will be displayed on your TV when the settings are complete. Now set up the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone.
- On the Amazon Alexa app:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone, search for BRAVIA, and then select Sony's TV - Basic Skill and enable it.
Note: If you search for BRAVIA when searching for skills, two skills Sony's TV Skill and Sony's TV - Basic Skill will be displayed. Select Sony's TV - Basic Skill and enable it. If you select Sony's TV Skill, it will not work.
- When the Google Account input screen appears, enter the Google Account you used to register your TV in step 4.
- Select Device Detection. If Sony's TV - Basic Skill is already enabled, say “Alexa, discover devices”.
- When the device detection is complete, your TV will display Setup is complete or Setup done. Select Exit or Done. The settings are complete.
- Say “Alexa, turn off the TV (the name of the TV you selected in step 5)” and confirm that you can use voice commands with the TV using your Amazon Alexa-enabled device.
If you want to again confirm that you can use voice commands after completing the settings, you can do so from the TV's TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
- Select TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app from the apps on the home screen.
- Select See all voice commands.
Note: Amazon and Alexa are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.