Cannot hear the TV sound from the Soundbar or Home Theater System
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
Note: If the sound is not output from the Soundbar subwoofer, refer to the article No sound is output from the Subwoofer.
- While the TV and audio device (Soundbar, Home Theater System) are turned off, disconnect the cables, and then reconnect them. Make sure that the cables between the TV and the audio device are securely connected.
Make sure that you make the appropriate connection based on the model of the TV and the audio device.
Note: Depending on the model, names and operations may vary or some settings may be unavailable. For details, refer to the manual of the TV or audio device.
If both the TV and audio device have HDMI ports labeled as ARC or eARC
If the HDMI port has no ARC or eARC label on either the TV or the Audio device (Using an Optical digital audio cable)
If using only an Optical digital audio cable
- Verify that the audio output setting of your TV is set to the audio device. If your TV is BRAVIA TV, set the Speakers to Audio System. The steps below are an example of Sony's Android TV™ or Google TV™.
Note: Just connecting the TV and audio system with a cable will not produce sound from the audio system.
- Open the Settings screen. How to access Settings
- The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:
- Select Display & Sound → Audio output → Speakers → Audio system.
- Select Sound → Speakers → Audio system
- If the input mode of the audio system is set to other than TV, or the Home menu is displayed, the sound is not output. Press the INPUT or TV button on the remote of the audio device, then set the input mode to TV.
- Turn on the TV, then turn on your audio device.
Note: Depending on the order in which they are turned on, the system may be muted and MUTING displayed on the front panel display of the audio system.
- If your TV is a BRAVIA TV, update the TV software to the latest version.
Note: For how to update your TV, refer to the article How to perform a software update.
- Update your audio device software to the latest version.
Note: To update your audio device, visit the Sony Support website, search for your audio device by entering the model number, and then go to the Downloads section.
- Reset the audio device and the TV.
Note: For how to perform a reset, refer to the manual of your device.