Using the Noise Isolation Earbud Tips incorrectly can cause quick deterioration or damage. Refer to the following before using the Noise Isolation Earbud Tips.
IMPORTANT: If the earbuds are cracked, peeled, or deteriorated, refrain from using them and purchase new ones. If the earbuds are not in good condition they may not provide full sound quality or noise-canceling performance. Furthermore, wearing cracked, peeled, or deteriorated earbuds may result in earbud fragments remaining in your ear, which could cause injury or illness.
Removing the earbud tips
Holding the headphones, gently pull the earbud while twisting and rotating.
Note: Do not pull on the polyurethane foam portion of the earbud tip. Doing so may cause the earbud tip to be torn or damaged.
Refer to the following on how to remove the earbud tips (Using WF-1000XM4 as an example):
- The correct method to remove the earbud tips
- The incorrect method to remove the earbud tips
Attaching the earbud tips
Firmly and completely attach the earbud tips. If the earbud tips are not attached completely, they may come off and adversely affect the sound quality, noise-canceling performance, and wearability.
Check the following:
- Make sure the earbud tips are not attached in a skewed manner
- Make sure the earbud tips are inserted firmly all the way
For how to attach the earbud tips, refer to the following (Using WF-1000XM4 as an example):
- For EP-NI1010, lightly turn over the earbud tips to make sure that the sound output hole is completely covered by the earbud tip.
- For EP-NI1000, examine the center of the earbud tip to make sure that the stem color inside the earbuds cannot be seen. If needed, use a flashlight. The color inside the earbuds is red, orange, green, and light blue depending on the size.
If the stem color inside the earbuds can be seen from the sound output hole, the earbuds are attached in a skewed manner or are not inserted firmly. Try reattaching the earbuds again so that the color inside the earbuds cannot be seen. This will ensure that the earbuds are attached correctly.
Cleaning the earbud tips
- When a Noise Isolation Earbud Tip is dirty, wipe it with a soft dry cloth.
- Do not wash the earbud tips in water or with a wet wipe. Doing so can speed up deterioration. IMPORTANT: Do not use solvents such as thinner, benzene, or alcohol, as they may damage the surface.
- Be aware that sharp metal objects, nails, adhesive tape, etc. may damage the earbud tips.
If the earbud tips get damaged
If the earbud tips are damaged, consult a Sony or purchase replacement earbud tips (sold separately).
Note: Noise isolation earbuds tips are provided as the following model names:
- Replacement earbud tips may not be sold or supported in all countries or regions
- The foam materials may become firm at a low temperature. Warm the earbud tips a little with your hands before use
- When the environmental temperature or usage temperature is high, the polyurethane foam may take time to return to its original shape
- If you feel that the bass sound has become insufficient (or that the sound quality has deteriorated), exchange the earbud tips with new ones
- You may hear cracking or popping noises when wearing the headphones. These noises happen because when wearing or adjusting the position of the headphones, air bubbles inside the earbuds get crushed and restored in response to movements that change the shape of the earbuds. This is normal, and not a malfunction.
- As the earbud tips fit more snugly in your ears, you may feel a strain on your ears. If you experience discomfort, discontinue use
- Do not pull on the polyurethane foam portion of the earbud tip. If it is separated from the earbud tip, it will not function
- Do not subject the polyurethane foam portion of the earbud tip to pressure for long periods of time. It may cause deformation and it may be difficult to return the earbud tip to its original shape
- When the earbud tips get soaked, drain the liquid well, and make sure that the earbud tips are dried before use or storage
- The varying sizes of the holes on the polyurethane foam portion of the earbud tip have no effect on the sound quality