If your device doesn't respond when you try to turn it on, try these actions one after the other. Verify after each action whether the problem was solved before trying the next one.
- Allow your device enough time to start. Long press the power key until the device vibrates and then release it. It may take up to 10 seconds before the device vibrates.
- Make sure that your device is charged. If the battery is drained, it may take up to 30 minutes for your device to respond to the charging. During this time, the screen remains dark, not showing the charging icon. Also note that it can take up to 4 hours for a drained battery to charge fully.
- If you have trouble charging your device, start by making sure that you are using an original Sony charger and a USB cable specifically intended for charging your device. Try to charge the device with a different USB cable connected to the USB port of a computer. If the device starts to charge, this may be a sign that the charger is not working properly.
- If there is a memory card in your device, remove it and restart the device. If removing the memory card solves the issue, your SD card may be damaged. In this case you need to get a replacement SD card for your device.
- You can force your device to restart or shut down in situations where it stops responding or won't restart normally. No settings or personal data get deleted during a forced restart.
To force the device to restart or shut down
- Long press the power key and the volume up key at the same time until your device vibrates.
- Depending on whether you wish to force the device to restart or shut down, proceed as follows.
- If you wish to force restart the device: Release the keys at this point. The device restarts.
- If you wish to force shut down the device: Continue pressing the keys. After a few more seconds, the device vibrates 3 times and turns off.
To turn on your device
- Long press the power key until the device vibrates.
- Enter your SIM card PIN when requested, then tap (Done icon).
- Wait a moment for the device to start.
- If a forced restart procedure doesn't succeed, you should try the 2-minute restart procedure.
To force a 2-minute restart
- Long press both the volume up key and the Power key for 2 minutes, ignoring any vibrations.
- Release the keys. The device turns off automatically.
- Charge the device until a charging icon appears on the screen.
- Turn on your device.
- It is recommended to back up and synchronize your important data with a Google account.
- Use the Xperia Companion computer application to perform a software repair to reset your device. Note that all data is deleted from the internal storage of your device when you perform a software repair. Content that you have saved on an external SD card, such as photos, videos and music, is not deleted.
To back up your data using a computer
- Unlock the screen of your device and connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- On the computer, select which files to back up, then copy and paste or drag and drop the files to a location on your PC
To back up and synchronize apps, phone settings, and call history
- Find and tap Settings > System > Backup. You may find the item under Advanced.
- Tap the switch to enable the function. Your app data, device settings, and call history will be backed up automatically.
You can also enable backup from the settings menu in Google Drive. You can synchronize your app data, device settings, and call history automatically by logging in to the Google account used to synchronize data on your old device. When you power on your new device for the first time, log in to the Google account during the setup wizard.
To repair the device software using Xperia Companion
Before performing a software repair, make sure you know your Google account username and password. Depending on your security settings, you may need to enter them in order to restart the device after a software repair.
- Make sure that Xperia Companion is installed on your PC or Mac.
- Open the Xperia Companion software on the computer and click Software repair on the main screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the software and complete the repair.