What to do if icons are missing or replaced by a red X in Help and Support?
Icons are missing or replaced by a red X in Help and Support.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.
NOTE: A backup of the registry should be created before proceeding.
1. Close the Help and Support window.
2. Click the Start button and then in the Start Search box type: regedit
3. Press the Enter key.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.
4. In the Registry Editor windows, in the left pane, double-click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
5. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, right-click on the .png folder.
6. In the menu, click New and then click String Value.
7. Type: Content Type and then press the Enter key.
8. In the right pane, double-click the newly created Content Type key.
9. In the Edit String window, in the Value Data: textbox, type: image/png
10. Click the OK button.
11. Close the Registry Editor window.