How to install a program or application in Windows 8 and 8.1.
Follow these steps to install a program or application.
IMPORTANT: Follow this procedure to install additional applications from the Windows Store .
To install a program from a CD or DVD, insert the disc into the computer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the program installation.
- Many programs installed from CDs or DVDs will attempt to launch an install wizard for the program automatically. In these cases, in the AutoPlay window, click to select to run the install wizard.
- If a compatibility issue occurs when attempting to install an older program, install the program using the Program Compatibility Mode .
- If a program does not begin to install, refer to the installation instructions that came with the program. This information will likely provide instructions for installing the program manually. If the information cannot be accessed, browse through the disc and open the application setup file, usually called Setup.exe or Install.exe.
To install a program or application from the Internet, use a Web browser to browse to the appropriate website and click the link for the program or application to be installed. Once the link has been clicked, do one of the following:
- To install the a program or application immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- To install a program or application later, click Save and download the installation file to a known location on the computer. To install the program or application, locate and double-click the file, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Downloading the installation file to a known location on the computer is the safer option because the installation file can be scanned for viruses before proceeding.
- As an added measure of security, only download and install programs or applications from publishers and websites that are trusted and reputable.