If an unexpected symptom appears while using your TV, check the following:
- Abnormal image, no picture, or no sound for a TV channel or external device
- No sound or distorted sound, unwanted noise, or interrupted sound when playing video or audio
- Video, pictures, or thumbnails do not display properly, or display a black screen
- USB playback, Throw, or Screen Mirroring do not work
- The app does not operate correctly
- Restart the TV.
Note: For more details, refer to the How to restart (reset) a Google TV/Android TV? article.
- Remove any peripheral devices connected to the TV.
- Turn off the TV and remove the power cord (mains lead) from the wall outlet. Wait approximately 2 minutes, and then plug the power cord back into the wall outlet and turn on the TV.
- For some Google TV models, the following alternative method has the same effect: On the TV, press the POWER button for about 40 seconds, or until the TV turns off.
- If your BRAVIA TV is connected to an external HDD, remove it and try again.
- Leaving the TV with the power cord (mains lead) disconnected from the wall outlet allows any electricity that remains in the TV to be discharged. As a result, unnecessary data and error information in the memory will be cleared and allow you to use the TV again normally.
- When the screen becomes black or the image is not displayed correctly in the HDMI/MHL connection, try the following methods to improve it:
Note: Your TV may not be compatible with an MHL connection. For details on your TV's specifications, refer to the manual.
- Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI/MHL cable.
- Disconnect and reconnect the power cord (mains lead) of the connected device, or reboot the device.
- If you experience an abnormal image or sound, reset the picture or sound settings:
- Software Update is an update program that adds new features and fixes bugs. We recommend that you connect the BRAVIA TV to the Internet, and set the Automatic Software Update option to On.
Note: For more details, refer to the How to perform a software update article.
- If there is no improvement after performing a software update, the issue may have another source. Please try searching other FAQs.
Note: If you downloaded apps other than those that were pre-installed, those apps may be affecting the TV's operation. Check the See if a downloaded app is causing an issue section.
First, start the TV in Safe Mode and check if the symptoms occur while the downloaded app is disabled. For details on how to operate the TV in Safe Mode, refer to the article How to turn Safe mode On or Off?
If you were able to start the TV in Safe Mode and confirm that a downloaded app is affecting the TV's operation, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- From Google Play Store, update the downloaded app you believe is causing the issue to the latest version available.
- Follow these steps to perform the Clear data procedure:
- Open the Settings screen. How to access Settings
- The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:
- Select Apps → See all apps → the app with problems. (Android™ 9 or later)
- Select Apps → the app with problems in the System app or Running app category. (Android 8.0 or earlier)
- Select Clear data then OK.
- Refer to the app web page, the e-mail address listed, or FULL DESCRIPTION of each app.
Note: The steps below might be changed without any notice.
- Consider uninstalling the app.