How to confirm the portable player is recognized by the computer as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device.
NOTE: Not all Walkman players use the same software. To see if your Walkman player supports the software mentioned in this solution, check the supplied operating instructions.
To use the portable player with Windows Media Player or Media Go software it must be recognized as a MTP device. Follow these steps to uninstall the driver and confirm the player is recognized properly.
- 2012 and up Walkman players do not support playback of copyright protected WMA files (WM-DRM 10).
- This procedure must be performed while logged in as Administrator or to an account with Administrator rights.
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Performance and Maintenance.
- In the Performance and Maintenance window, click System.
- In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
- On the Hardware tab, under Device Manager, click the Device Manager button.
- In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) sign in front of Disk drives.
- Click to select the Sony USB device.
- From the menu, click Action and then click Uninstall.
- In the Confirm Device Removal box, click OK.
- Disconnect the portable player from the computer.
- In the System Settings Change box, click Yes.
- Restart the computer.
Your portable player should now be recognized as a MTP device and can be used with the software.