- For DVD Camcorders, additional information is available in the How to transfer video from a DVD camcorder to an Apple Macintosh computer using a USB connection article.
- For Tape Camcorders, additional information is available in our Tape Camcorder importing guide.
You can transfer the video from your camera using the Apple iMovie software. If the Apple iMovie software is not installed on your computer, or you are trying to transfer 60p (1080 and 720) video, follow the alternative steps below to copy the video from the camcorder. You can also download and use the PlayMemories Home software.
IMPORTANT: The Macintosh computer requires an Intel Core Duo processor or better to support AVCHD video.
- Turn on the camera.
- Connect the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Set the camera to Mass Storage or USB MODE.
NOTE: After the computer recognizes the connection, it will list the camera drive or drives as NO NAME or UNTITLED on the computer desktop.
- On the computer desktop, click the NO NAME or UNTITLED icon.
- Locate the video files.
- For AVCHD video:
- Click the PRIVATE folder.
- Click the AVCHD folder.
- Click the BDMV folder.
- Click the STREAM folder.
- For Standard Definition (SD) video:
- Click the MP_ROOT folder.
- Click the 101PNV01 folder.
- For AVCHD video:
- On the keyboard, press and hold the Shift key.
- While holding the Shift key, click to select the video clip files you want to transfer.
- Release the Shift key.
- On the keyboard, press Command+C to copy the files.
- Open the folder or directory on the computer where you want to copy the video.
- On the keyboard, press Command+V to paste the files into the desired location.
After following the steps above, the video from your camera will be copied to the hard drive of the computer. You will need to have a movie player application that supports MPEG-2 for standard-definition video or AVCHD for high-definition video to open and play these files. Refer to the software manufacturer of the movie player application you are using for additional information and any available updates.