- If using a CD-R or CD-RW disc, check the specifications of the CD player to verify that this media is supported.
- Sony cannot guarantee playback when using CD-R or CD-RW discs recorded by a disc burner. Be sure to use commercially-produced discs when following the troubleshooting steps below.
- If model-specific information is needed, refer to the instructions supplied with the product.
- Check that the disc has been inserted correctly with the label side up.
- Clean the disc using a soft, dry cloth.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Do not use solvents such as benzene, thinner, commercially available cleaners, or antistatic spray intended for vinyl records. These products can damage the disc.
- Handling the disc by the outer edge and not touching the surface, reinsert the disc and then press the PLAY button to see if the disc will play.
NOTE: Only press the PLAY button once. If the button is pressed more than once, the disc may stop playing. If this button is inoperable, service may be required.
- For disc players with a HOLD switch, make sure that the switch is set to the OFF position.
- Attempt to play a couple of different store-bought discs.
NOTE: If the issue does not occur when playing the newly, inserted discs, the previous disc is faulty. Otherwise, continue with the troubleshooting steps.
- If applicable, reset the CD player.
NOTE: If your model unit does not have a RESET button or steps to reset the memory, unplug the power cord (and/or remove any batteries) and let the unit sit for a couple of minutes, then reconnect the power back to the unit.
- If the disc still will not play, depending on the location of your CD player, the issue can also be caused by condensation. Open the disc compartment and let the unit sit for about one hour to allow any condensation to dissipate.
- If the unit does not play any of the discs, the laser pick up may be dirty.
IMPORTANT: CD/DVD player lens cleaners are not recommended. These lenses should be cleaned by a factory-trained technician only.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.