- How can I browse files in my Xperia device?
- Xperia Z series running Android 7.0, 7.1 or 7.1.1
Browse your files:
- Directly on the device
- By connecting the device via a USB cable to a computer
Browsing files directly on your Android device
You can search for photos, videos and music tracks on your device using pre-installed applications such as the Album, Music and Video & TV SideView applications.
Alternatively, you can use a file manager application for viewing, searching, renaming and organising your files and folders. Most devices include an additional file manager application, such as the File Commander application. Other file manager applications are available for download from Google Play Store.
There is also a built-in file manager in the Settings menu.
To find the built-in file manager
- From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
- Find and tap Settings > Storage.
- If the device has an SD card, tap SD Card, or to browse the internal storage, tap Internal shared storage > Explore.
- Drag the left edge of the screen to the right.
- Tap to browse the internal storage, SD Card (if available) to browse an external memory card or Drive (if available) to access files on your Google Drive.
Tip: Touch and hold a file to highlight it. You can then share the file, or tap the menu button (three vertical dots) and move or copy it to another location.
Browsing files using a computer
Connecting via USB
You can use a USB cable to connect your device to a computer to transfer and manage files and folders. Once the two devices are connected, you can use your computer's file explorer to drag and drop content between your computer and device, or between your device's internal storage and memory card.
To connect an Xperia device to a Windows computer
- Connect your Xperia device to a Windows computer using a USB cable.
- Xperia device: If prompted, in the Use USB to dialog, tap Transfer files (MTP).
- Computer: Open Microsoft Windows Explorer. Your Xperia device appears under Computer.