Why does the computer lock up and shows a Blue Screen (BSOD) when user tries to extend the desktop to an external monitor using the FN+F7 keys?
The computer locks up with a Blue Screen error message Stop: 0x00000116 or Igdkmd32.sys – address 8D856590 base at 8D846000, DateStamp 4a96a809 when trying to extend the desktop using the FN+F7 keys.
The issue occurs when using the FN+F7 keys with the Windows Aero feature is enabled. The issue will not occur if the Windows Aero feature is disabled.
To resolve this issue, follow the procedure as stated below:
-Restart the computer in Normal mode to reset the display.
-Turn off the Windows Aero feature with the below steps:
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Personalization.
- In the Appearance and Personalization window, click Personalization.
- In the Personalization window, under Change the visuals and sounds on your computer, scroll down and in the Basic and High Contrast Themes section, click to select any of the listed themes.
- In the Personalization window, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.