IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
When you connect headphones to a device, the music playback (Media audio) and the phone call function (Call audio) are connected simultaneously. Most headphones allow multiple Bluetooth® connections to audio devices; however, to switch sources, you need to go into the Bluetooth settings, disconnect the current source, and then connect the source you want to use with the headphones.
If your headphones support a multipoint connection, you can switch easily between two audio sources without going through the standard Bluetooth reconnection process.
Before you start
- Multipoint connection works with only two devices at a time.
- A third device can be connected through Bluetooth, however, the Bluetooth connection with the last device that played music will stay connected and the second device will be disconnected for the third device to establish the Bluetooth connection with the headphones.
- Download the Sony | Headphones Connect app on one of the devices and make sure it has the latest update.
- Both source devices must support Bluetooth capability.
- When pairing the headphones with any device, make sure to select the actual model name. For example, select WH-1000XM4, rather than LE_WH-1000XM4 on the source device.
- It may take up to one minute before WH-1000XM4 appears on the screen.
Note: The steps and images used in this article are specific to the WH-1000XM4 headphones; however, the steps are generally the same regardless of which headphones you have. Please use this article as a guideline.
How to use the Multipoint connection
Multipoint connection works with only two devices at a time. For example, you can:
- watch a video on your computer and answer a call from your smartphone
- listen to music on your Walkman player (or other music player) and answer a call from your smartphone.
The steps may vary depending on the devices that you want to use. Follow the instructions according to the devices the headphones will be paired to.