If the Virtual keyboard does not appear on the TV screen, even after selecting the text input box, perform the following workarounds in order. Check to see if the issue is resolved after completing each workaround.
Remove all USB devices from the TV
- Remove all wireless devices connected to the TV via USB port. If there is a wireless mouse receiver connected to the TV, the Virtual keyboard may not appear because it may be recognized by the TV as a USB keyboard. To resolve this issue, remove the wireless mouse receiver from the TV.
Example of a wireless mouse receiver:
2. Perform a power reset on the TV.
Check the Keyboard settings
- These are examples on models with Android™ 8.0 and 9.
- If Device Preferences is not shown on your TV menu, skip it.
- HOME → Settings → (Device Preferences) → Keyboard → Current keyboard → Select Gboard.
- HOME → Settings → (Device Preferences) → Keyboard → Manage keyboards → Turn on Gboard.
- HOME → Settings → (Device Preferences) → Keyboard → Manage keyboards → Disable Google voice typing.
Uninstall Gboard updates from the TV settings
The Google™ Gboard is the current default keyboard for Android™ TV devices. If the keyboard does not appear after removing USB mouse devices, then do the following and check to verify that the keyboard appears after each step:
- Uninstall any recent keyboard update from the TV:
- Select Settings → Apps → under System apps select Gboard → Uninstall updates → OK.
- Select Settings → Apps → See all apps → Gboard → Uninstall updates → OK.
- Uninstall any recent keyboard update installed from the from the Google Play store.
- Open the Google Play store.
- Select My apps.
- Under Recently Updated select Gboard — Google Keyboard.
- Select UNINSTALL UPDATES.