This provide guidance on how to clean the camera lens and camera body by yourself.
Items to prepare
- Blower - This is used to blow away dust and dirt on or in the camera.
- Brush - This is used to wipe away dust on the camera body or lens. Use a large or small brush for the lens according to the situation.
NOTE: We recommend a plain blower instead of a brush blower, etc.
Plain blower (recommended)
Squeeze the bulb with your fingers to force the air out. You can easily adjust the air pressure.
This can be used as both a blower and a brush. When using a brush blower with a removable brush, remove the brush when using it as a blower. This prevents dust on the brush being blown onto the camera.
- Do not use an air duster. Doing so may damage the image sensor, or cause a malfunction.
- Do not touch the sensor's surface or blow on it too hard.
- Sony is not liable for any incidental or consequential damage due to mishandling at non-Sony service locations or otherwise.
- Cleaning cloth - This is used to wipe off the camera or lens. A cloth made of synthetic fibers, which can be washed and used over again, is recommended.
You can check the following video tutorials for cleaning methods
- How to clean the camera lens
- How to clean the image sensor
- "For E-Mount cameras
- For A-Mount cameras
- "For E-Mount cameras
How to clean
- Remove dust and debris from the camera body.
Use a brush to sweep dust and debris from the entire camera. Use a large brush for the outside of the camera and a small brush for delicate parts. Do not press the brush hard against the camera; sweep gently.
- Remove dust and debris from delicate parts using a blower.
- Take the front lens cap off, and remove the dust on the lens surface using the blower.
If particularly dirty, wet a soft cloth or lens tissue with lens cleaner solution, and wipe in a circular motion from the center of the lens.
- Do not apply lens cleaner solution directly to the lens.
- Do not use any organic solvent such as thinner or benzine to clean the lens.
- Replace the front lens cap to prevent dust from attaching to the lens.
Press the lens release button, and detach the lens.*For the ILCE-QX1
IMPORTANT: Be careful do not touch the sensor's surface.
Use the blower while holding the camera facing slightly downward so that dust and debris easily fall off the sensor's surface.*For the ILCE-QX1
Reattach the lens.*For the ILCE-QX1NOTE:
- Take the lens off and on in a dust-free location. Dust and debris may easily enter the camera and lens in a dusty location.
- For an A-mount
When you attach the lens, confirm that the mirror has been completely pushed down.
After you are finished cleaning, check that dust has been removed.
- Set the shooting mode to Aperture Priority (A), and the aperture value to F11.
- Take a picture of a white wall, white paper, or the sky.
- Make sure that no dust shows on the image.
NOTE: Many camera shops also offer professional cleaning services for image sensors that may be able to be performed in a timely manner.
If the issue is still unresolved, the product may need servicing. Go to Product Repair.