To restore the camera to its original factory settings, you can perform a settings reset. The process of resetting your camera to its original factory settings depends on whether or not your camera has a RESET button.
Follow the appropriate procedure below:
If you are using a camcorder, refer to the How to reset or initialize a camcorder back to original factory settings article.
- Be sure not to turn off the camera while resetting is in progress
- If you are using a model that supports PlayMemories Camera apps, when you perform Initialize or Setting Reset, applications downloaded to the product may be uninstalled
Note: To use these applications again, reinstall them.
- Even if you use this function, all movies and photos are retained
- If an error code beginning with C: or E: is displayed on the camera’s LCD screen, resetting may not resolve the issue
Using an Initialize or RESET option in the menu (Models without a RESET button)
- Depending on your camera:
- Select MENU → Settings → Initialize → OK
- Select MENU → Setup → Initialize → Reset Default or Factory Reset
- Select MENU → Setup → Navigate to Setting Reset → Camera Settings Reset or Initialize
- After the camera reboots, the time and date settings menu will be displayed. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the initial settings.
- Since cameras have different menu system layouts, refer to the instruction manual for your camera model.
- If you want to reset just the shooting settings, do not select Initialize. Instead, select Camera Settings Reset or REC Settings.
Using a RESET button (Models with a RESET button)
- Locate the RESET button on the camera.
Note: Only some models have a RESET button. Refer to the manual supplied with your camera to determine whether it has a RESET button or to identify the location of the RESET button.
- Turn on the power of the camera.
- Use a pointed object (like a ballpoint pen) to press and hold the RESET button with a pointed object, such as a ballpoint pen, for 2 to 3 seconds, then release the button.
Note: Some models allow you to reset just the network settings or just the shooting settings. To determine the reset or initialize options and method for your camera, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Search the manual for the words Reset or Initialize to determine the method for your camera.